Information

USS Rowan (DD-64)


USS Rowan (DD-64)

USS Rowan (DD-64) was a Sampson class destroyer that served in European waters in 1917-18, and took part in at least one attack on a suspected U-boat, but without success.

The Rowan was named after Stephan C. Rowan, a US Naval Officer during the Mexican War and the American Civil War. After the war he was promoted to rear admiral and later vice admiral, commanded the Norfolk Navy Yard, the Asiatic Squadron, the New York Navy Yard, the Naval Asylum at Philadelphia and the Naval Observatory at Washington.

The Rowan was laid down on 10 May 1915 and launched on 23 March 1916. She ran trials in late July 1916, with weights installed in place of her guns, which had not yet been installed, and no torpedo tubes. She was commissioned on 22 August 1916, with Lt William R. Purnell in command.

Later in the year Purnell was replaced as her commander by Charles A. Blakely, who later rose to command the carrier Lexington (CV-2) in 1932-34, Commander of Carrier Division 2 (1937) and ended his career as Commander of the 11th Naval District and Commander of the Naval Operating Base at San Diego before retiring on 9 December 1941 due to ill health. The destroyer escort USS Blakely (DE-1072) was named after Blakely and his great grand-uncle Captain Johstoen Blakely, who served in the War of 1812.

The Rowan operated off the Atlantic coast during the autumn of 1916. She then took part in the US Navy's winter exercises in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico over the winter of 1916-17. She was at Norfolk when the US entered the First World War in April 1917, and was briefly used to patrol the mouth of the York River.

The Rowan was part of the second batch of US destroyers (Division 7) sent to Europe after the American entry into the First World War (Tucker (DD-57), Rowan (DD-64), Cassin (DD-43), Ericsson (DD-56), Winslow (DD-53), and Jacob Jones (DD-61)). They reached Queenstown, Ireland, on 17 May 1917.

The Rowan was used for a mix of anti-submarine patrols and convoy escort missions, operating between British and French ports. She was involved in one significant attack on a possible submarine, on 28 May 1918, when she was one of three destroyers to take part. She dropped fourteen depth charges, and oil came to the surface, but no U-boat was destroyed.

The Rowan left Queenstown on 26 December 1918 to return home and reached New York on 8 January 1919. She spent the summer of 1919 operating off the US East Coast and in the Caribbean, before in August being placed into reduced commission at Philadelphia.

Anyone who served on her between 21 November 1917 and 11 November 1918 qualified for the First World War Victory Medal.

Anyone who was serving on her on 1 April 1919 qualified for the Haitian Campaign Medal.

The Rowan rejoined the Atlantic Fleet after a brief post-war spell in reduced commission, before moving to Philadephia in March 1922, where on 19 June she was decommissioned. She didn't take part in the Coast Guard's prohibition era 'Rum Patrol' and remained out of commission until she was stuck off on 7 January 1936. She was sold for scrap on 20 April 1939.

One of her wartime commanders was Douglas L. Howard, who was awarded the Navy Cross for his period as commanding officer of the Drayton (DD-23), Rowan (DD-64) and Bell (DD-95) during the First World War. He later rose to command Destroyer Divisions 27 and 33 and ended his career in the Office of Naval Intelligence.

In the period April-June 1918 the Rowan escorted nine troop convoys.

Displacement (standard)

1,100t

Displacement (loaded)

1,225t

Top Speed

29.5kts at 17,500shp (design)
29.57kts at 17,964shp at 1,135t tons on trial (Rowan)

Engine

2-shaft Curtis turbines
4 boilers

Range

Armour - belt

- deck

Length

315ft 3in

Width

29ft 10in

Armaments

Four 4in/50 guns
Two 1 pounder AA guns
Twelve 21in torpedoes in four triple mountings

Crew complement

99

Launched

23 March 1916

Commissioned

22 August 1916

Fate

Books on the First World War |Subject Index: First World War


USS Rowan (DD-64) - History

Rowan II (Destroyer No. 64: dp. 1,225 (f.), 1. 315'3", b 30'7", dr 10'9" B. 29.5 k. cpl. 99 a. 4 4", 2 1-pdrs. 3 21" tt., cl. Sampson) The second Rowan, destroyer No. 64, was laid down on 10 May 1915 by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quiney, Mass. launched 23 March1916, sponsored by Miss Loulse McL. Ayres, great-niece of Viee Admiral Rowan and commissioned at Boston on 22 August 1916, Lt. William R. Purnell in command. Following shakedown, Rowan, based at NewDort, R.I operated along the Atlantic coast during the fall of 1916 then participated in winter exercises in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. At Norfolk, when the United States entered World War I, she patrolled off the mouth of the York River, then repaired at New York. On 7 May 1917, she departed Boston for Ireland, arriving with Division 7 at Queenstown on the 27th. From then, through the remainder of the war, Rown conducted antisubmarine patrols and escorted convoys to both British and Freneh ports. On 28 May 1918, she joined two other destroyers in attacking a U-boat dropped 14 depth charges and had the satisfaction of watching oil cover the surface in the attack area. Rowan departed Queenstown on 26 December 1918 and reached New York on 8 January 1919. Into the summer, she conducted exercises along the east coast and in the Caribbean. On 29 August, she entered the Philadelphia Navy Yard and was placed in reduced commission. Designated DD-64 the following summer, 1920, Rowan resumed operations with the Atlantic Fleet in March 1921 and continued them until March1922. She then returned to Philadelphia where she was decommissioned on 19 June 1922. She remained inactive, laid up at League Island, until struck from the Navy list on 7 January 1936. Her hulk was sold for scrap on 20 April 1939.


Ship's Crew

James Rowan was born in Schenectady, New York on July 23, 1806. He was warranted a midshipman on August 19, 1823. He first served on the sloop of war Ontario in the Mediterranean Squadron, and then on the frigate Cyane. This was followed by assignment to the sloop-of-war Hornet in the West Indies Squadron to suppress piracy. Later, as a passed midshipman, Rowan served as sailing master of the schooner Experiment on the East Coast. In 1835, he was promoted to lieutenant and sent to the sloop-of-war Natchez in the Brazil Squadron. From 1840 to 1842, he sailed the Mediterranean aboard the frigate Brandywine. He transferred to the frigate Potomac in the Home Squadron, and then to the screw steamer Princeton, where he saw service in the Mexican War.

Aboard USS Constitution

Rowan reported to Constitution in Boston on September 15, 1848 to serve as first lieutenant. The ship sailed to the Mediterranean to protect American commerce, especially around Italy, which was then in the midst of a revolution. Captain John Gwinn fell ill during the summer of 1849 and died on September 4 while Constitution was at Palermo, Sicily. Rowan assumed command and, after interring his predecessor ashore, sailed the ship to Naples. There, the squadron commander ordered a more senior officer to relieve him on September 18. Rowan resumed his duties as first lieutenant and remained on the ship until she was decommissioned at Norfolk, Virginia, in January 1851.

After USS Constitution

In September 1855, Rowan was promoted to commander, and in 1856 he was ordered to command the brig Bainbridge, then newly returned to Norfolk, Virginia from the Brazil and African Squadrons. The ship, however, was decommissioned that September and placed in ordinary. Rowan was dismissed from the service on January 23, 1857. He died on the morning of April 29, 1864 after a short illness and was buried at New York City’s Trinity Church.


Service history

World War I

Following shakedown, Rowan, based at Newport, Rhode Island, operated along the Atlantic coast during the fall of 1916, then participated in winter exercises in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. At Norfolk, Virginia, when the United States entered World War I, she patrolled off the mouth of the York River, and then repaired at New York. On 7 May 1917, she departed Boston for Ireland, arriving with Division 7 at Queenstown on the 27th.

From then, through the remainder of the war, Rowan conducted antisubmarine patrols and escorted convoys to both British and French ports. On 28 May 1918, she joined two other destroyers in attacking a U-boat dropped 14 depth charges and had the satisfaction of watching oil cover the surface in the attack area.

Rowan departed Queenstown on 26 December 1918 and reached New York on 8 January 1919. Into the summer, she conducted exercises along the east coast and in the Caribbean. On 29 August, she entered the Philadelphia Navy Yard and was placed in reduced commission.

Designated DD-64 the following summer, 1920, Rowan resumed operations with the Atlantic Fleet in March 1921 and continued them until March 1922. She then returned to Philadelphia where she was decommissioned on 19 June 1922. She remained inactive, laid up at League Island, until struck from the Navy list on 7 January 1936. Her hulk was sold for scrap on 20 April 1939.


The U.S.S. Hollister DD788

The U.S.S.Hollister was more than a steel hull filled with complicated mechanical devices and more than a gray mass topped with a superstructure containing complex detection and deployment systems. It is first of all MEN. Men who provided life and breath to the 390 foot long and 41 foot wide structure, capable of speeds over thirty knots.

The U.S.S. HOLLISTER was first launched to the sea in October of 1945 and was officially commissioned on March 19, 1946. Commander William T. Samuels in command headed for the open seas. Following commissioning the Hollister home ported and operated out of San Diego, CA. She actively participated in peacetime training and fleet exercises in addition to an illustrious record in the Korean and Viet Nam War.

When the Korean war broke out in June, 1950 the Hollister joined the U.S. Seventh Fleet operating out of Sasebo, Japan, with the Fast Carrier Task Force 77. The ship and a full contingent of crew members participated in rescuing downed pilots, anti-submarine screening and plane guard duties. In September 1950, she and other units of Destroyer Division 112 along with the cruiser U.S.S. MANCHESTER bombarded Fracchi Point (Tungsan Got) where North Korean Communists were constructing entrenchments.

Mid-December 1950, the HOLLISTER assisted in the evacuation of Allied Forces from the Hungnam Beach Head. The Hollister played an important role in the evacuation of the Tachen Islands while on the 1954-55 cruise.

February, 1961, found the ship and crew moving to Bremerton, WA for Fram MK1 Conversion. In January, 1962 the ‘new’ Hollister made her home in the Long Beach, CA Team in the Western Pacific.

The Hollister engaged in antisubmarine exercises on the American West Coast before again heading west to reach the South China Seas.

Nineteen-sixty-five found 270 enlisted men and 15 officers of the Hollister headed for a WesPac tour, mostly to guard planes with the carriers in the Tonkin Gulf. On one 37 day temporary duty tour up North the responsibility was to alert Carrier groups in the Gulf air field in the Formosa Straight. This tour went “unrepped” and everything from food to toilet paper ran out.

As part of the Pacific 7th fleet participation for a thirty month tour during 1966-68, the Hollister, was ordered to patrol the North Vietnamese Coastline waters from the Demilitarized Zone northward. During this tour with the naval operation aptly named “Sea Dragon” the Hollister’s mission was to destroy all North Vietnamese water born logistics craft carrying arms and materials and to destroy selected enemy military targets ashore.

While on Search and Rescue station, the Hollister was riding “shotgun” as a deterrent force against any of the enemy who might pose a threat to friendly forces while attempting to rescue a down pilot. Whistling shells, flashes of light, the unleashed sights and sounds readily qualify one and all as Naval battle heroes.

Naval Gunfire Support Operations and Operation Sea Dragon demanded the utmost from each and every Hollister man, meeting the challenge, again, with the expected endurance and excellent Performance through long, hot days of gunfire and waiting, and nights of tense anticipation, all the men helped achieve the Hollister’s goals for various Vietnam operations. Off the coast of Vietnam clear, blue water with sun bleached beaches on the horizon were overcome by the sounds and sights of War. Lives were measured by duty stations and watches, general quarter, replenishment, mail-calls, mealtime and rack time. It was a demanding lifestyle, but an experience that would not be traded (now that it is over) nor unforgotten.

Vietnam was a time worthy of pride in the Naval forces and the exemplarity manner in which all performed their tasks. Regardless of home front attitudes and the frustrating realities of fighting a war with one-sided rules, the military fought the fight in the tradition of our armed forces of past generations.

The Hollister continued to serve as part of the 7th fleet and in other Vietnam mission into 1974, before being struck from the Navy list in 1979.

The long dedicated career of the U.S.S. Hollister that plied the waters of the Pacific Ocean and served as “home” to thousands of young men who experienced new adventures in the Far East. Days of forlornness over quiet seas, days of discovery and fun in strange new lands, days of working and personal achievement, days of thought and awareness and days of big guns pounding away with tremendous power at enemy coastline.

Memories, pictures and stories now tell the tale of this time in the lives of thousands of young men who served aboard the Hollister, as she steamed over four times the distance to the moon, in carrying out her varied wartime and peacetime missions.

U.S.S. Hollister in it's "other life"
as a ship of the Taiwanese Navy

CLASS - GEARING As Built.
Displacement 3460 Tons (Full), Dimensions, 390' 6"(oa) x 40' 10" x 14' 4" (Max)
Armament 6 x 5"/38AA (3x2), 12 x 40mm AA, 11 x 20mm AA, 10 x 21" tt.(2x5).
Machinery, 60,000 SHP General Electric Geared Turbines, 2 screws
Speed, 36.8 Knots, Range 4500 [email protected] 20 Knots, Crew 336.
Operational and Building Data
Laid down by Todd Shipyards, Seattle. January 18 1945.
Launched October 9 1945 and commissioned March 29 1946.
Decommissioned September 1979.
Stricken August 31 1979.
To Taiwan March 3 1983, renamed Shao Yang DDG-929.
Fate Scheduled for decommissioning June 1 2004 at Kaohsiung, Taiwan


P.C. Rustigian
Reunion Group Chaplin


USS Rowan (TB-8)

The first USS Rowan (Torpedo Boat No. 8/TB-8) was a torpedo boat in the United States Navy during the Spanish–American War. She was named for Vice Admiral Stephen Rowan.

Rowan was laid down on 22 June 1896 by Moran Brothers Company, Seattle, Washington launched 8 April 1898 sponsored by Mrs. Edward Moale, Jr. and commissioned on 1 April 1899, Lieutenant Reginald F. Nicholson in command. After trials in Puget Sound, Rowan was decommissioned on 1 May 1899.

Rowan was recommissioned on 23 April 1908 and on 21 June she departed Bremerton, Washington, for Mare Island Navy Yard in Vallejo, California. For the next year she cruised off the United States West Coast, from the Canadian border to Magdalena Bay, Mexico, as a unit of the 3rd Torpedo Flotilla. Then assigned to the Reserve Torpedo Group at Mare Island, she resumed operations with the torpedo flotilla in December 1909 and continued that duty until 1912.

Rowan was decommissioned at Mare Island on 28 October 1912. Her name was struck from the Navy list the following day and her hulk was sold for scrap on 3 June 1918.


Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships

Douglas L. Howard (DE-138) was launched 24 January 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Tex. sponsored by Mrs. D. I. Thomas, daughter of Captain Howard and commissioned 29 July 1943, Lieutenant Commander G. D. Kissam, USNR, in command.

Between 4 October 1943 and 19 March 1944 Douglas L. Howard escorted three convoys to Casablanca, French Morocco. She joined the hunter-killer group operating with Core (CVE-13) for one cruise between 3 April and 30 May, then made a similar patrol with the group formed around Wake Island (CVE-66), from 16 June to 29 August. After repairs at Boston, she joined Mission Bay (CVE 59) for antisubmarine patrol in the South Atlantic from 8 September to 26 November.

Douglas L. Howard continued to screen Mission Bay during training in the Caribbean and the qualification of aviators in carrier operations off Mayport, Fla., then returned to ASW operations in the North Atlantic.

Douglas L. Howard left Boston 30 June 1945 for San Diego, and reached Pearl Harbor 8 August. On 3 September she reported to Eniwetok for patrol and local escort duty, and from 26 September to 16 November she assisted in the occupation of Lele Island in the Carolines and the disposition of its surrendered military equipment. She served on occupation duty in the Marshalls until 6 January 1946 when she left Kwajalein for the United States. She called at San Diego, then continued to New York, arriving 15 February. On 13 March she arrived at Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she was placed out of commission in reserve 17 June 1946.

[Douglas L. Howard was struck from the Navy list on 1 Oct5ober 1972 and sold on 14 May 1974.] Transcribed and formatted for HTML by Patrick Clancey


Rowan University has evolved from its humble beginning in 1923 as a normal school, with a mission to train teachers for South Jersey classrooms, to a comprehensive public research university with a strong regional reputation.

In the early 1900s, many aspiring New Jersey teachers lacked proper training because of a shortage of schools in the state that provided such an education. To address the problem in South Jersey, the state decided to build a two-year training school for teachers, known then as a normal school.

The town of Glassboro was an early favorite because of its excellent rail system, harmonious blend of industry and agriculture, natural beauty and location in the heart of South Jersey. Several towns in the region competed to be the site of the new normal school because of the economic benefit and prestige such an institution would bring.

In 1917, to sway the decision in their favor, 107 Glassboro residents raised more than $7,000 to purchase 25 acres, which they offered to the state for free if the borough were selected as the site. The tract of land included the Whitney mansion (now known as Hollybush) and carriage house. Before the purchase, the entire property belonged to the Whitney family, prominent owners of the Whitney Glass Works during the 1800s. This show of support, along with the site's natural beauty, convinced the selection committee that Glassboro was the perfect location.

A Strong Foundation

In September 1923, Glassboro Normal School opened with 236 students arriving by train to convene in the school's first building, now called Bunce Hall. Dr. Jerohn Savitz, the institution's first president, expanded the curriculum as the training of teachers became more sophisticated.

Despite the rigors of the Depression, the program was expanded to four years in 1934, and in 1937 the school changed its name to New Jersey State Teachers College at Glassboro. The college gained a national reputation as a leader in the field of reading education and physical therapy when it opened a clinic for children with reading disabilities in 1935 and added physical therapy for the handicapped in 1944. The college was one of the first in the country to recognize these needs and was in the forefront of the special education movement.

Rowan's second president, Dr. Edgar Bunce, created a junior college program in 1946 to serve World War II veterans taking advantage of the GI Bill.

In the 1950s, Dr. Thomas Robinson, the University's third president, expanded the curriculum, increased enrollment and added several buildings to the campus. In 1958, the school's name was changed to Glassboro State College to better reflect its mission.

A Historic Summit

The University received worldwide attention when it hosted a historic summit conference between President Lyndon Johnson and Soviet Premier Aleksei Kosygin in Hollybush. The University was chosen because of its strategic location midway between Washington, D.C., and the United Nations in New York City, where Kosygin was scheduled to speak. The meetings between the two leaders, held June 23-25, 1967, presaged a thaw in the Cold War and eased world tensions.

Rapid Growth to Serve Needs

The University's fourth president, Dr. Mark Chamberlain, guided the college through its next phase of growth as enrollment doubled and G.S.C. became a multi-purpose institution. As new majors and a Business Administration Division were added, four divisions grew into schools and a board of trustees was formed. In 1969, the University opened a campus in Camden to expand its educational services. With a 1978 Division III National Championship in baseball, the first of 11 national championships for the institution, the athletic program established itself as one of the premier athletic programs in the country.

The college’s fifth president, Dr. Herman James, assumed the leadership of the institution in 1984. Under his direction, Rowan expanded by establishing the first doctoral program among the state's public institutions and adding the Colleges of Engineering and Communication. Dr. James was also responsible for the construction of Campbell Library, the Student Recreation Center and Rowan Hall, home to the College of Engineering.

A Transformative Gift

In July 1992, industrialist Henry Rowan and his wife Betty donated $100 million to the institution, then the largest gift ever to a public college or university. Later that year, the school changed its name to Rowan College of New Jersey to recognize its benefactors’ generosity. The Rowans’ only request was that a College of Engineering be created with a curriculum that would address the shortcomings of engineering education.

The college achieved University status in 1997 and changed its name to Rowan University under Dr. James’ leadership. The College of Engineering quickly earned national accolades for its successful new curriculum.

Dr. Donald J. Farish was appointed Rowan’s sixth president in July 1998. Under his leadership, the University implemented an aggressive improvement plan that addressed academic and student support initiatives as well as campus construction and renovation projects.

Major construction projects included the University townhouses Science Hall Education Hall and the Samuel H. Jones Innovation Center, the first building of the South Jersey Technology Park at Rowan University.

During his tenure, the University also entered into a public-private partnership that led to the construction of Rowan Boulevard, a $400-million, mixed-use redevelopment project that links the campus with Glassboro’s historic downtown. The corridor features student and market-rate housing, a Barnes & Noble collegiate superstore, a Courtyard at Marriott Hotel, an urgent care center and numerous retail and dining outlets. Work is underway on other facilities.

A Broader Mission

During this period, Rowan founded Cooper Medical School of Rowan University—the first new medical school in New Jersey in more than 35 years and the first-ever M.D.-granting four-year program in South Jersey—in partnership with Cooper University Health Care.

The medical school welcomed its first class in the summer of 2012 into a new, six-story building adjacent to Cooper University Hospital in Camden. Close to 3,000 students applied for 50 spots in the medical school's charter class, which graduated in May 2016.

The Board of Trustees named then-Provost Dr. Ali A. Houshmand as interim president in July 2011 and then the University’s seventh president in June 2012.

As provost, Dr. Houshmand established the College of Graduate and Continuing Education and started Rowan’s online education program, which now are part of Global Learning & Partnerships. As president, he dramatically reduced institutional expenses and increased revenue while expanding enrollment and academic programs.

In 2012, several of the colleges were restructured and schools were created, among them the colleges of Business, Communication & Creative Arts, Education, Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science & Mathematics.

In 2016-17, the University opened Holly Pointe Commons, freshman and sophomore housing strategically located on Rt. 322, and new buildings for the William G. Rohrer College of Business and Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering, which will enable the high-demand programs to double their enrollment.

N.J. Medical & Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act

On July 1, 2013, Rowan again changed dramatically when the New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act went into effect. The Restructuring Act designated Rowan as New Jersey’s second comprehensive public research institution, transferred the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey’s School of Osteopathic Medicine to Rowan and partnered Rowan with Rutgers-Camden to create health sciences programs in the City of Camden.

Rowan became the second institution in the nation to have both a D.O.-granting medical school (RowanSOM) and an M.D.-granting medical school (Cooper Medical School of Rowan University). The transfer of programs also led to the creation of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and gave Rowan its third campus, with Stratford joining Glassboro and Camden, New Jersey, as homes to Rowan programs.

Recognized Nationally

Rowan has attracted the attention of national organizations that evaluate colleges and universities. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Rowan among the top tier Northern Regional Universities and among the top three public institutions in the category, and includes the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering among the best institutions where the highest engineering degree offered is a bachelor's or master's. The Princeton Review includes the William G. Rohrer College of Business among its best business schools yearly.

Numerous Opportunities

Rowan continues to expand its programs and partnerships. Among the most recent—and vital to higher education in New Jersey—was its June 2015 partnership with Burlington County College (now Rowan College at Burlington County) to improve access to affordable four-year undergraduate degrees. That move followed one two years earlier with Gloucester County College (now Rowan College at Gloucester County) that enables students to pursue Rowan bachelor’s degrees at the county college or transfer seamlessly to the University after earning an associate degree and meeting standards.

Today, Rowan's approximately 18,000 students can select from 74 bachelor’s, 51 master’s, four doctoral degree and two professional (medical) degree programs— along with undergraduate and post-baccalaureate certificates—in colleges and schools across four campuses.

From the modest normal school begun 94 years ago, Rowan University has become an extraordinary comprehensive institution that has improved the quality of life for the citizens of New Jersey and the surrounding states.


USS Rowan (DD-64) - History

The Billings (LCS 15) is the eighth ship in the Freedom-class littoral combat ships and the first ship in the United States Navy to be named after the largest city in Montana.

November 2, 2015 The keel authentication ceremony for the LCS 15 was held at the Fincantieri Marinette Marine Corp. shipyard in Marinette, Wisconsin.

July 1, 2017 The Pre-Commissioning Unit (PCU) Billings was christened and launched during an 11 a.m. CST ceremony at Marinette Marine shipyard. Mrs. Sharla D. Tester, the wife of Sen. Jonathan Tester (D-MT), served as sponsor of the ship. Cmdr. Nathan D. Rowan is the prospective commanding officer.

November 18, 2018 The Billings departed Marinette shipyard for the first time to conduct Builder's (Alpha) trials on Lake Michigan Day-long underway for acceptance trials on Dec. 6.

February 1, 2019 U.S. Navy officially accepted delivery of the future USS Billings during a short ceremony aboard the ship at Marinette Marine shipyard.

June 7, The Billings (Crew 116), commanded by Cmdr. Michael R. Johnson, departed Marinette, Wis., for the last time Moored at passenger dock in downtown Detroit, Mich., from June 9-15 Transited the Welland Canal on June 16 Moored at Port of Montreal, Quebec, on June 18.

June 21, PCU Billings made contact with a general cargo ship Rosaire A. Desgagnes, moored at Berth 32, while underway from Port of Montreal at approximately 2 p.m. and moored back at Berth 31 for damage assessment.

June 28, Capt. Michael S. Johnston, Commander, Littoral Combat Ship Squadron (LCSRON) 2 relieved of duty Cmdr. Michael R. Johnson due to a "loss of confidence in his ability to command." Cmdr. Nathan D. Rowan, CO of the USS Wichita (LCS 13) Blue, assumed temporary command of the Billings.

July 1, The littoral combat ship departed Port of Montreal en route to its homeport of Mayport, Florida Moored at HMC Dockyard Jetty NH on Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Halifax, Nova Scotia, from July 4-6 Moored at Berth 4, Pier 9 on Naval Station Norfolk from July 9-10.

July 12, PCU Billings moored at Wharf D1 on Naval Station Mayport, Fla., for the first time Underway again on July 26.

July 28, LCS 15 moored at N/S/I (North Side Inner) Mole Pier on Naval Air Station Key West, Fla., for a week-long port visit in preparation for its commissioning ceremony.

August 3, USS Billings was commissioned during a 10 a.m. EDT ceremony at NAS Key West.

August 7, The Billings moored at Wharf C1 on Naval Station Mayport Underway again from Aug. 16-19 and Aug. 20-22 Moved to Wharf D3, outboard the USS Little Rock (LCS 9), on Aug. 23 Emergency sortied due to approaching Hurricane Dorian on Aug. 30.

September 1, USS Billings moored at Berth 5, Pier 5 on Naval Station Norfolk for a three-day port call Moored at Pier 6N on Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, Conn., from Sept. 6-9.

September 12, The Billings moored outboard the USS Detroit (LCS 7) at Wharf D4 on Naval Station Mayport Moved to Wharf B3 on Sept. 14 Moved to Wharf C1 on Sept. 17.

October 4, The Billings moored at Wharf D2 on Naval Station Mayport after a four-day underway in the Jacksonville Op. Area Underway again on Oct. 18 Brief stop in Naval Station Mayport on Oct. 19 Returned home on Oct. 21.

October 28, USS Billings departed homeport for magnetic treatment (DEPERM) in Norfolk Moored at Berth 6, Pier 5 in Naval Station Norfolk on Oct. 30 Moved to deperming crib on Lambert's Point Magnetic Treatment Facility on Oct. 31 Underway for degaussing runs on Nov. 4.

November 6, The Billings moored at Wharf D4 on Naval Station Mayport Underway again on Dec. 11 Moored at Wharf C1 on Dec. 12 Moved to Wharf D4 on Dec. 13.

January 13, 2020 USS Billings moved from Delta Wharf to Wharf C1 on Naval Station Mayport Moved back to Wharf D4 on Jan. 2? Underway again from Feb. 5-6.

February 28, The Billings moored at Wharf B1 on Naval Station Mayport after a one-day underway in the Jacksonville Op. Area Moved to Wharf D4, outboard the USS Wichita (LCS 13), on March 4 Moved to Wharf C1 on March 6 Underway again from March 25-26.

April 3, Cmdr. Aaron L. Helgerson relieved Cmdr. Nathan D. Rowan as CO of the LCS Crew 116 during a change-of-command ceremony aboard the Billings.

April 28, USS Billings moved "dead-stick" from Wharf C2 to a floating dry-dock on BAE Systems Jacksonville Ship Repair facility, for a Post Shakedown Availability (PSA).

July 1, The Rotational LCS Crew 1?? (Gold), commanded by Cmdr. Brian A. Forster, assumed command of the LCS 15 during a crew exchange ceremony in front of the dry-dock.

July ?, USS Billings undocked and moored pierside on BAE Systems shipyard Moved to Wharf D4 in Naval Station Mayport on Oct. 7 Moved to Wharf C2 for a brief stop to onload ammo on Nov. 24 Moored at Wharf F1 after a day-long underway for sea trials on Dec. 8 Underway again on Dec. 9 Moored at Wharf D4 on Dec. 11.

January 22, 2021 The Rotational LCS Crew 116 (Blue), assumed command of the Billings during a crew exchange ceremony in the ship's pilot house.

January 22, The Billings moved from Berth 4 to Berth 2, Delta Wharf on Naval Station Mayport Underway again from Feb. 22-23 and Feb. 25-26 Moved to Wharf C2 for ammo onload on March 8 Moved back to Wharf D2 on March 11 Underway again from March 18-19.

May 3, USS Billings moored at Wharf C2 on Naval Station Mayport after a three-day underway in the Jacksonville Op. Area Moved to Wharf C1 on May 4.

May 13, The Gold Crew assumed command of the Billings during a crew exchange ceremony in the ship's pilot house.

May 16, USS Billings departed homeport for routine training in the Virginia Capes and Cherry Point Op. Areas Moored at Quay Wall Dogleg Berth on Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, Va., from May 19-21 Moored at Wharf C1 for a brief stop on May 27 Moored at Wharf B2 for a brief stop on June 1 Moored at Wharf D1 on June 4.


Welcome to the USS Hollister DD 788

Phone: 505-884-2511
When Calling, ask for the
USS Hollister Reunion Block.

To get the reunion rate, reservations must be made by August 5, 2021.

If you have questions, please contact:

Casey Orr
Treasurer USS Hollister Reunion Assoc.
3132 Carlisle Circle
Marion, IA 52303
319-651-9426
[email protected]

For information of other US Navy Reunions visit http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/Reunions.html

Any person who was attached to the destroyer, USS Hollister DD 788, for any length of time during the years which the ship was in service,1946 through 1979, is invited to participate in this gathering.

The Retired Enlisted Association:
http://www.trea.org

to the USS Hollister's website. If you have comments, if you are looking to connect with a shipmate, something you'd like to donate to our site photos, news, links, etc. please feel free to contact us. Thank you, and enjoy!


Watch the video: DD984SinkEx (January 2022).